| Home Search
Welcome to Birmingham Michigan! The city's downtown attracts shoppers
throughout the Metro Detroit area. This area is now known as
"Birmingham" but the village first received mail through the
"Bloomfield" post office.
Birmingham established its own post office on April 5, 1838. The
settlement incorporated as a village in 1864, comprising the northern
half of section 36 and the southern half of section 25 with a total land
area of one square mile. The first village elections were held March 1,
1864, and it was soon governed by a seven-man board of trustees who
appointed a marshal and a treasurer. Birmingham re-incorporated as a
city in 1933.
The names of the city's founders are seen throughout Birmingham in
places such as Pierce Elementary School, Hunter House Hamburgers (which
was located on the road formerly known as Hunter Boulevard, which
bypassed downtown to the east and was renamed Woodward, with the
original Woodward Avenue section renamed Old Woodward), the Hamilton
Hotel, the Willets Building and Merrill Street. Hall & Hunter
Realtors named themselves in tribute to the builder and occupier of
Birmingham's first home.
The Birmingham City School
District administers several nationally accredited schools including
Seaholm High School and Groves High School. Roeper School has a campus
on Adams Road. The Holy Name School is a parochial school founded by the
Roman Catholic Holy Name Church. It educates grades pre-K to 8. The
school was established in 1928, along with a now non-existent convent
for IHM nuns. The church and school continue to operate in conjunction
The Baldwin Public Library
serves the city of Birmingham and nearby communities of Beverly Hills
and Bingham Farms. The original building first opened to the public on
December 19, 1927. In October 1959, an extension for the Youth
Department was added to the east side of the building. In 1983, another
addition opened, changing the entrance to Merrill Street. There are over
120,000 books in the library, along with CDs, DVDs, periodicals,
educational toys, databases and free Wi-Fi.
library is named after Martha Baldwin, a civic leader and lifelong
resident of Birmingham who was instrumental in establishing the first
library. She also helped get sidewalks for the business section, street
lights, seats placed at interurban transit stops, flowers and trees
planted and wastebaskets placed at the street
The city has over
twenty parks with many amenities including tennis courts, baseball
diamonds, playgrounds, golf courses, sledding hills, nature trails,
picnic areas and deep woods. Shain Park, the city's main commons, is the
site of the Village Fair, art shows, summer music concerts and numerous
community events all beneath The Freedom of the Human Spirit sculpted
by Marshall Fredericks.
Novi is a city in Oakland County in the U.S. state of Michigan.
the 2010 census, the population was 55,224, an increase over the 2000
census count of 47,386. The city is located approximately 25 miles (40
km) northwest of the center of Detroit, and 29 miles (47 km) northeast
of the center of Ann Arbor. The city is located within the boundaries of
the survey township of Novi Township. The remaining unincorporated
township is only a tiny fraction surrounded by the city.
Farmington is a city in Oakland County of the U.S. state of
It is a northern suburb of Detroit and is part of the Metro Detroit
area. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 10,372. It is fully
surrounded by Farmington Hills, except for a small portion bordered by
Livonia to the south. Since 2009, the city's downtown has been the
center of an extensive renovation and remodeling featuring a refacing or
rebuilding of many buildings on Grand River Avenue, as well as brick
paver sidewalks, the Farmington Pavilion, new lighting, and landscaping.
The area is known for its historic downtown, elegant Victorian-style
homes, and one of Michigan's top rated public school systems, Farmington
Public Schools. In 2007, CNNMoney.com listed Farmington as number 55 in
their Best Places to Live survey.
Royal Oak is a city in Oakland County of the U.S. state of
It is a suburb of Detroit. As of the 2010 census, the city had a total
population of 57,236. It should not be confused with Royal Oak Charter
Township, a separate community located nearby.
It is the 6th-largest city in Oakland County and the 21st largest city
in Michigan by population. The area is known for its shopping, dining,
and many cultural activities.